The Federal Government on Sunday said that it had concluded evacuation of Nigerians from war-torn Sudan but there were 160 others that were yet to be profiled.
Aside from profiling, the apex government explained that the 160 Nigerians also have no passports to aid their evacuation back to Nigeria.
The Director General, National Emergency Management Agency, Mustapha Ahmed, stated this in Abuja on Sunday while briefing journalists on the country’s evacuation progress.
According to Ahmed, although the women claimed to be Nigerians, they do not possess Nigerian passports to verify their claims.
He said though the 160 Nigerians were awaiting evacuation, the government was working to confirm their identities and put plans in motion to evacuate them.
“We have evacuated all students. The Ambassador in Sudan has called and said that there are 160 women and children with no passports still in Sudan. I said he must profile, access and verify who they are.
“If it is confirmed that those 160 women and children are truly Nigerians then we can evacuate them. This will be the closure for the evacuation exercise.”
On the amount spent so far to evacuate Nigerians from Sudan, Ahmed said the country paid a total of $22,662 as exit fees at the point of moving the evacuees from Sudan and $62,950 for entry visas into Egypt.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]